What Is This Place? Who Are You? What Have You Done With My Wallet?
Ampeater Music is a website devoted to bridging the gap between unsigned (or just plain underexposed) artists and music lovers everywhere. Every day we feature a different artist on what we call The Ampeater Review. Each featured artist submits a “digital 7-inch” which we then complement with a detailed review and offer as a free download. Our mission is to help music lovers everywhere connect with new artists, and in turn help artists reach out to new listeners.
What is a digital 7-inch?
A digital 7-inch is essentially a promotional single. like the classic vinyl 7-inch format, an ampeater digital 7-inch includes two songs–an A-Side and a B-Side. The artist may choose both songs, but we encourage artists to come out strong with an A-Side designed to hook new listeners and a B-Side crafted for someone a bit more adventurous. The tracks can be studio recordings, demos, or live tracks — new or released.
The Ampeater Review is a new blog/record label that features free downloads of “digital 7-inches” from unsigned bands every weekday. Designed as a means for promoting fledgling artists, the site is a veritable goldmine for adventurous music lovers looking for something new, as well as a much needed outlet for bands in search of exposure.
– Owl And Bear
I truly believe in what this site is doing, bringing back the heart and warmth, care and attention to the cold cynical blogosphere. In depth reviews from people who truly care and think about their music for people who feel the same.
– Mr. Reader
CASUAL BUSINESS is an in-studio performance series happening at Serious Business Music in Manhattan. Each installment will contain two unique live performances captured on 2-inch tape and will appear as a free downloadable digital 7-inch, along with photos, videos, and 1,000 perfect words on The Ampeater Review. This series will represent a beautiful collision of the live-in-studio radio broadcast (Peel Sessions, BBC), old-school shotgun studio-hit-making (Motown, Stax), and instant digital dissemination.
The information age has introduced an unthinkable expansion of musical technologies, styles, choices, as well as distractions, hoaxes, and false promises. CASUAL BUSINESS will inject some musical truth serum through the veins of the zeitgeist. Our mission is to provide unique artists with a platform to celebrate their uniqueness in real time, live in a great recording studio, and then to share the results with the universe. Performances will be live and spontaneous. We encourage artists to use this platform to debut new material, unheard nuggets, alternate arrangements, covers, freakout jam free-for-alls, to wildly experiment or to simply and powerfully deliver their hits. This is the artists’ time.
- Strawberry Hands, Boy Without God, Weyes Bluhd, RAUL, Amazing/Wow, Extra Life, Pet Ghost Project @ Pianos (2009 Launch Party)
- Shark?, Cuddle Magic, Morning Benders w/ Hype Machine @ Housing Works (2010)
- Twin Sister, Memoryhouse w/ Manic Productions @ Cafe Nine (2010)
- Miles Benjamin Anthony Robinson, Electric Tickle Machine, MiniBoone, Translations w/ QRO Mag @ The Knitting Factory (2010)
- Boy Without God, PS I Love You, MiniBoone, Thieving Irons w/ QRO Mag @ Bar Matchless (Northside Festival 2010)
- Young Mammals, Emanuel and the Fear, Alcoholic Faith Mission, Freedom or Death, Saadi, Kidstreet, Motel Model w/ Paper Garden Records @ The Living Room (CMJ 2010)
- PS I Love You, Holiday Shores w/ Manic Productions @ Daniel Street (2010)